Company fined for workers fall from icy roof

Rotorua company The Housemovers Limited has been fined $54,000 and ordered to pay a worker $40,000 after he was seriously injured after a fall from an icy roof. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment brought two charges under the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992. The company failed to identify the hazard of ice on the roof when dealing with tangled wires and it failed to properly train its employee in the use of a safety harness, including [...]

Read more...

Company fined for not preventing fall from height

Roofing company Metind Limited (formerly Metalcraft Industries Limited) has been fined $43,000 and ordered to pay reparations of $10,000 after an employee was seriously injured after falling more than three metres from a roof. The Auckland District Court heard that on 9 June 2011 three employees of Metind Limited were working on a single storey Keith Hay residential home in Glen Innes, Auckland. “While reaching down to secure a safe hold on the damp ridge of the roof, one of the [...]

Read more...

Saw puts timber through workers hand

A construction worker got a painful shock this week when a piece of wood went through his hand. Cheyne Construction and Development owner Lee Cheyne posted a bloody photograph of employee Jimmy Innes' swollen hand on Facebook. The photo shows a piece of timber embedded about 10cm through the side of his right palm with blood dripping around the open wound. "A table saw threw it out at his hand! It's buried 4 inches right through to the other side of his [...]

Read more...